5.15.2010

rape culture

youtube: “rape” results 1 - 20 of about 215,000
google: About 43,800,000 results

Rape culture: a term used within women's studies and feminism, describing a culture in which rape and other sexual violence (usually against women) are common and in which prevalent attitudes, norms, practices, and media condone, normalize, excuse, or encourage sexualized violence.

i cannot name one woman who has been
completely free from any form of sexual harassment


that, for me, is a problem
inga muscio puts it so brilliantly
when she argues that rape culture has a chain reaction
that frightens us
before we are meant to be frightened

we are automatically on guard
when we are walking home and the sun has gone down
because
someone we know
(relative, friend, co-worker, woman exposed on the news, celebrity, etc)
has experienced an attack of some kind
and that frightens us
and makes us think that we are victims
that we are likely to get raped.

when we hear that a woman has died
during an attack or encounter
we often correlate this occurrence with rape
(crime shows are a perfect example of this
the women are (generally) rape victims)
the fact that we watch this
and we internalize this
is one of the ways we normalize rape

i have collected some tidbits (aka proof)

advertisement




advertisements are amazingly influential
what does this one tell you?


a complaint on the Internet:
Viacom Wants to Anal Rape Us
Viacom hates us. Viacom hates their customers. Viacom don't want us to support them. They just want us to take it in the ass.

rape in casual conversation to describe a situation with an exchange of power using force.

a letter.
i wrote to challenge ignorant rules.
notice that i do not say the word rape once.
but it is implied.
in every single argument i present.


RE: Northgate Mall Rules.

With all due respect…

I’m not lazy. As if working in retail did not explain that one enough. I choose to park close for specific reasons. The same reason I hold my car keys strategically in my hand while I walk to my car and lock the door behind me.

I understand. It is for the benefit of the customers. I can respect that. What about the safety for the employees? I do not wish to pinpoint specific businesses. Luckily, I do not think I have to as I am sure you understand where all the “ruckus” (if you will) is coming from.

I have worked in Northgate Mall for three years. I am not saying it is unfriendly zone. Clearly, I would have been gone by this point. I am asking you to think with compassion about certain individuals who are expected to close their store and walk to their car alone. I refuse to abide the rule. Why?

· I have been followed to my vehicle by four men. At the same time. I was shaking by the time I got there. Too much to strategically place my keys. But I did manage to lock the door.

· I have been the victim of verbal sexual harassment numerous times. I have been told numerous times that I have a nice ass. I have been asked to sport a mini skirt for solely (I can assure you) their pleasure. I have heard many “oh yeahs”, “come home with me” etc. I am sure you can understand the remarks that are sitting on my tongue. The verbal venom I would love to shoot out in their direction. However, I have been told it is best not to. That I should inform security. Because I enjoy this attention so damn much, I should wait for help and bask in this glory? No. I don’t think so.

· Lets not forget about the murder we had not too long ago. It seems to be a lot to ask a young woman (or man) to walk to their car alone stepping over someone’s cleaned up blood.

· A fist fight outside of that certain place that causes that certain “ruckus”. Profanity, drunken men, and physical fights. What more could I need to end my day? Not to mention, that extremely angry drunk man felt the need to follow behind me to my car swearing that he fucking hates “you”. I do not know who “you” is. I do not care. So long as I can get to my car and lock the door.

· I had an addict or something along that line in my store describing very disturbing things related to babies.

· And perhaps the most consistent of them all: The old pervert who would sit outside the bench and stare at me and my coworkers. As soon as I left, so did he.
· Need I say more? Bomb threats? Shirtless drunk men threatening to fight someone half my size?

· Need I mention all the drug exchanges I so happen to stumble upon in the parking lot that could potentially end my life? (Wrong place at the wrong time)

· You get the point.



So, before you assume people are lazy and inconsiderate or rebellious (whatever you thought). Think differently. Think of the young girls, or boys, who are walking to their vehicle in that dark parking lot. Keys placed, waiting for the safe (presumably) haven of their vehicle.


I am asking that there is some kind of light shed onto this situation. I can guarantee 100% that I am not the only girl who is suffering this type of abuse. Why? Well, what do you expect? We have the doorway to liquid courage for any men or women who chose to participate right in the mall. Easy access. The mall is one big enabler. Maybe I should say it bluntly. There should not be, under no circumstances, a door for a tavern in the mall. Unacceptable.



Oh. And about my right for being able to call security if I am being pestered: It is really not a solution for me. Why am I expected to call upon a man to mediate the conversation between me (a woman) and another man?



Please reply. I am interested in your thoughts as Centre Manager. What can be done to make the mall a safer environment for the customers AND the employees?


i never heard back.



i want to stop there.
because.
it is your turn now.
next time you watch tv
read a book
look through a magazine
surf the net
be on the look out

for any (and all)
occurrences, subtle hints,
blunt messages
whatever.

and link them to my fb.
and i will post them here credited to you

start to un-normalize rape.
start to defeat rape culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment